News

‘X-Men’ director says sex abuse claims a ‘shakedown’

‘X-Men’ director says sex abuse claims a ‘shakedown’

ABUSE ALLEGATIONS:Bryan Singer, 48, said in a statement that the allegations are "outrageous, vicious and completely false." Photo: Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The director of the forthcoming “X-Men” film on Thursday called claims that he sexually abused a teen more than a decade ago a “sick, twisted shakedown,” and said he was dropping out of promotional events for the movie ahead of its release.

Bryan Singer, 48, said in a statement that the allegations are “outrageous, vicious and completely false.”

Last week, Michael Egan, 31, accused Singer in a civil lawsuit filed in federal court in Hawaii of drugging and raping him in 1999 in Hawaii and California. Egan, who was an aspiring teen actor at the time, seeks unspecified damages.

“I promise when this situation is over, the facts will show this to be the sick, twisted shakedown it is,” Singer said in a statement, adding that he would not participate in media events for the film because it would be a distraction.

A message left for Egan’s attorney on Thursday was not immediately returned.

The lawsuit could overshadow the promotional rollout of Singer’s “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” which is expected to be one of the year’s top grossing films.

The film is estimated to gross $108 million in its opening weekend at the U.S. box office, according to BoxOffice.com.

The latest installment of the “X-Men” franchise stars Patrick Stewart, Jennifer Lawrence and Hugh Jackman, and is distributed by 20th Century Fox.

Singer’s attorney had previously denied the allegations.

Egan has also sued three other entertainment industry executives in Hawaii with sexually abusing him during that time. All three have denied the accusations.

(Reporting by Eric Kelsey; Editing by Piya Sinha-Roy and Mohammad Zargham)

Recent Headlines

in Weird

Dallas woman accused in illegal butt injections surrenders

Needles

Dallas police say a woman accused of providing illegal buttocks injections has surrendered to authorities.

in Entertainment

‘Downton Abbey’ to end after season six

This photo released by PBS and Carnival Film and Television Limited shows, from left, Lesley Nicol as Mrs. Patmore, and Sophie McShera as Daisy, in a scene from season four of the Masterpiece TV series, "Downton Abbey." As it returns for its much-awaited fourth season, it remains a series about elegance, tradition and gentility, and the pressures of preserving them. The show premieres Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 9 pm ET on PBS.

Producers confirm that the next season of "Downton Abbey" will be the last.

in Sports

Aaron Hernandez trail delayed by bomb threat

Former New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez listens during a motion regarding jail phone recordings during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Mass., on Wednesday, March 25, 2015. Hernandez is accused in the June 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd.

A bomb threat has delayed proceedings of the Aaron Hernandez murder trial.

in Entertainment

‘Empire’ co-stars spark romance rumors

gracegealey

Are Trai Byers and Grace Gealey more than just coworkers?

in Entertainment

Idris Elba could be the next ‘Star Trek’ villain

idriselba

The in-demand actor is in talks to join the star-studded cast of the sci-fi franchise.