News

‘Octomom’ charged with welfare fraud

‘Octomom’ charged with welfare fraud

OCTOMOM: In this 2010 photo, Nadya Suleman, known as the Octomom, poses for a undated photo in New York to promote her appearance on MTV's 3rd season of "Silent Library" which airs July 6. Photo: Associated Press/Dave Allocca/StarPix

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County prosecutors have charged Octomom Nadya Suleman with welfare fraud.

The district attorney’s office says Monday that Suleman failed to report nearly $30,000 in earnings while applying for public assistance last year.

The district attorney’s office says that Suleman, whose real name is Natalie Denise Suleman, has not been arrested but has been ordered to appear in court on Friday.

A prosecution statement says she was charged on Jan. 6 with one count of aid by misrepresentation and two counts of perjury by false application. If convicted, she faces up to five years and eight months in custody.

In addition to her octuplets, Suleman has six other children.

Efforts to reach Suleman for comment through recent associates were not immediately successful.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

‘Empire’ creators face lawsuit over Cookie

empire

Sophia Eggleston, of Detroit, Michigan has filed a $300 million lawsuit claiming the show's central character Cookie, played by Taraji P. Henson, is so similar to her that creator Lee Daniels must have used her as his muse.

in Entertainment

Robert Downey, Jr. is laughing all the way to the bank

robertdowney

The "Iron Man" star is once again Hollywood's highest paid man.

in Music

Original AC/DC frontman to write tell-all

18-overlay3

Dave Evans, who was eventually replaced by Bon Scott, is planning a book about his time in the music business.

in Entertainment

‘Dungeons & Dragons’ coming to the big screen

dungeonsanddragons

Warner Brothers says the popular fantasy role-playing game is being converted into a feature film.

in Sports

After death of 9-year-old, no more bat boys and girls

13-overlay2

The National Baseball Congress is suspending the use of bat boys and girls during its World Series in Kansas following the death of a 9-year-old boy who was hit by a bat.